Saturday, April 30, 2016

Strawberry Patch

We are big fans of strawberries over here. Brooklyn would eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I let her (if she gets sugar to dip them in, it's even better!). We knew when we bought a house, we wanted a yard, and when we got our yard, we wanted to plant a garden. We moved in May of last year so we technically could have started a garden last year. But seeing that we had to buy a lawn mower and a fence first, we decided to put the garden off until this year.

I have been SO excited to try to grow a garden. I have a black thumb. I kill plants. I can never keep anything alive (besides my children...I've been really proud of keeping them alive). I went to a few gardening classes at Thanksgiving Point hoping to get all of the answers. I've pinned a million sites, read so many articles about gardening. So here we go! Our first gardening season!

We have a few small garden spots so far, but today I'll just share about our strawberry patch. Dane found these cool bricks in my grandpa's garage before he moved. He brought them all home and threw them on our side driveway. (In fact, we still have some there...we still look like the white trash neighbors...) He dug out a spot of grass where we wanted our strawberry patch and built a circular, well almost circular, patch with the bricks. Then he bought some stakes to go through the holes to keep them in place.
He filled the hole with some weed barrier to keep out the weeds/grass. We filled the hole with dirt, got some strawberry plants his brother was getting rid of, and now we have a strawberry patch! In the future, we want to build another patch just like this next to it, but this year, we'll try out this one.
It has been so fun checking on them every day and watching the little flowers start to grow. Pretty soon we'll have strawberries and I'm going to have to keep Brooklyn away so she doesn't eat them all at once!!

No comments:

Post a Comment